Your Car's Power Steering System
A car's steering system is made to make driving a car effortless when it comes to steering. Back in the day, steering was an incredible chore until power assisted steering was introduced on the 1951 Chrysler Imperial. They referred to it as "Hydraglide" and it used fluid compression to aid in the steering of the vehicle. Today, most systems are hydraulic but many are using electronic power assist driven by little motors attached to the steering system.
Power Steering Problems - Issues You May Experience
- Difficulty in steering;
- Unresponsive steering during parking lot maneuvers more so at slow speeds;
- You may hear out of place noises when turning the steering wheel;
- A shimmy or shake in the steering wheel (sometimes caused by warped rotors if during braking);
- Steering wheels should return to the center position if power steering is working properly;
- The dreaded fluid on the ground under the vehicle;
Should you ever find yourself short on steering fluid when you have checked, one alternative can be transmission fluid incase no steering fluid is available. Please call us if you need information regarding your car's steering repair cost and we can help you.